Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I apply to go abroad without enrolling in a Domestic Flagship program?
- Do I have to participate in the overseas component in order to complete the Flagship program?
- Can I apply for both the summer program and the capstone year program? Do I have to fill out two applications?
- Which Overseas Flagship program should I apply to? Is the capstone year or the summer program the right choice for me?
- Do I have to major or minor in Arabic to participate in the Arabic Flagship Program?
- Who can apply?
- What level of Arabic proficiency should I have before I apply?
No. The Arabic Flagship program is a two-tier program and both the domestic and overseas components are mandatory. You must be enrolled in a Domestic Flagship program in order to go abroad.
Yes. All Flagship students must participate in at least one year-long overseas program.
Can I apply for both the summer program and the capstone year program? Do I have to fill out two applications?
Please consult with your Arabic professor to find out if you should apply for the Arabic Overseas Flagship Capstone Program or the Arabic Overseas Flagship Summer Program. You should then complete an application for the program that best reflects your current level.
Students applying for the Capstone year are expected to be at ILR Level 2 (ACTFL Advanced).
If your level of Arabic is approximately 1+ on the ILR scale (ACTFL Intermediate), your professor will advise you to apply to the Summer program. Once the summer program is over, you will return to the US, spend two more semesters at your home institution, and then apply to the Capstone year.
Which Overseas Flagship program should I apply to? Is the capstone year or the summer program the right choice for me?
Please consult with your Arabic teachers and/or Flagship director before applying to the Overseas Flagship Program. They will be able to recommend a course of study based on your current level of Arabic proficiency.
No. Flagship encourages qualified students from all academic disciplines to apply to the program. Professional-level proficiency in Arabic can be a great asset in any career path or academic field, and participating in the Arabic Flagship Program is an excellent way to achieve this goal.
Students who are currently enrolled at a Flagship University (Indiana University, Oklahoma University, University of Maryland, University of Texas- Austin, or The University of Arizona) can apply to the Arabic Overseas Flagship Program.
Students who are applying to the Flagship Program are expected to be at level 1+ on the ILR scale for the summer program and level 2 for the Capstone year.