Can I be compensated for my full time internship?

Flagship participants obtain an X-type participant visa in order to attend the Chinese Overseas Flagship Program. According to Chinese law, foreign passport holders using an X-type visa may not receive work related compensation or benefits. Participants are only allowed to work as uncompensated interns while using an X-type visa.

Some Chinese companies may require participants to sign an internship contract. If participants are asked to sign a contract, they must first carefully verify that the text contains absolutely no stipulations concerning compensation or benefits. If participants do sign a contract, the document should be scanned and immediately provided to Flagship internship staff. In a worst case scenario, signing a contract that mentions compensation could result in a participant being instructed to leave the country by the Chinese authorities.